Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Concealed Carry - Getting Started





Do you know what lurks around that next corner? I don't either. Have you ever thought of getting a permit to carry a concealed handgun?

On April 16, 2007 a horrific tragedy took place on the campus of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. Thirty two students and professors were murdered and many more injured in a senseless act of violence. This forever changed the way that I view the world. My wife and I are both Hokie alumni. We still have close ties with Virginia Tech and the Blacksburg community. It is with this in mind that I write this article.

On that day, my sheltered world became an unrealistic dream of the past. I vowed that day that I would do everything I could to prepare myself for such an event. Of course, I hope never to find myself in a situation where deadly force is a consideration, but, it never hurts to try to prepare yourself.

So, where do you start? For me the first step was to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. I've been a hunter my entire life so I was no stranger to firearms. However, a concealed carry permit was a new ball game. I went to the local gun shop and talked to the staff. They quickly filled me in on the following details:

1. Satisfactory completion of a concealed carry class or a hunter's safety class.

2. Take your Certificate of Completion to the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the locality in which you reside.

3. Fill out the Application for a Concealed Carry Permit

4. Go to the Police Department to get finger printed

5. Wait 30 days for the circuit court judge to approve/deny the permit.

That's it. I was thinking I was going to be interrogated as to my "need" or "desire" for the permit. Nothing could be farther from what happened. Keep in mind that this process ONLY pertains to Virginia. However, I have found that many other states have very similar processes.


I consider myself an "average Joe". I'm fairly laid back and usually light hearted. For me a permit to carry a concealed weapon was a logical first step. For many it's not. If you are unsure I would encourage you to go to your local shooting range and talk to the staff there. They will give you valuable advice and rent you a firearm that will fit your needs. You can shoot as many as you need until you find what works best for you. As a side note, when my wife decided she wanted to go through the process I took her to the range. At the time she had an overwhelming anxiety towards firearms. After the first shot I could see tears welling up in her eyes so I started to pack up and get ready to leave. Much to my surprise, she wanted to stay and keep shooting. Now she shoots better than I do. My hope is that if you do decide to pursue that option you gather as much information as possible. Weigh all the pros and cons and then decide. The decision should not be taken lightly nor should the training and education that goes along with it.

I will be posting additional articles pertaining to carry options, self defense, and non-lethal force. Be well.
I am a sportsman, an outdoorsman, a veteran of the U.S. Army, and a staunch believer in the 2nd amendment. I had an awakening on April 16, 2007.
Please visit http://www.carryconcealedhq.com for additional information.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Teg_Tilman

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4943728

No comments:

Post a Comment